Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Nonprofit Social Network Survey

A new survey came out from NTEN, Common Knowledge and The Port regarding how nonprofits are using social media.

It comes as no surprise that most nonprofits say they are using social networking, but the fundraising dollars are not coming in. One of the reasons for this result is that 85% say they use commercial social networks, and 80% say the primary purpose is Marketing. That means only 5% use social newtorking for a primarly purpose outside of marketing.

When I first started in the development world, I went to a seminar and the speaker said, "if you don't ask for the money, why would anyone give." I thought it was a no-brainer, but the more I talked with people, the more I understood that not everyone asks for money. Is it possible that the reason people are not pulling in a bunch of cash from social networking is because they are not asking their consitutents for money? I would put my money on yes.

No comments: